22 April 2008

Lost


I often act on impulse. It's a habit that has not always served me well, but occasionally it leads me to surprising adventures.

Today, I took the long way home, lost my way, and discovered an uneven and unpaved road behind an open gate. I had no idea where it might lead (a sign said the road was officially closed from December through April, so I thought it must lead somewhere), or how far I would have to travel, but the urge to explore was irresistable.

I wondered what the road had once been used for. I found the broken ruins of a dam, so it was clear that some sort of industrial activity must have taken place there, long ago. (There's a park on the site of a former quarry, not far from my house.)

I had missed the sign on the way in, but noticed the name "Sunken Mine Road" on the way out, and I had followed it through part of what I later discovered was Fahnestock State Park. (I haven't been able to determine what was mined on the site.)

It was a thrill to think that I had no idea where I was going, to be miles away from anyone. (Seemed an appropriate way to celebrate Earth Day, somehow.)

No comments: