29 July 2008

Circuits

I'm almost finished, but so tired that I can't seem think straight enough to sort out how to connect the last piece of the puzzle ― it's a motor that will create a low rumble, as if the rocket's engines are being fired. (My son refers to this as "The Rumbler.") The switch has already been installed, but I need to work out how to connect it to the motor and the battery pack. I try two or three times to sort it out in my head before I give up and decide to draw out a diagram, instead. One crumpled piece of paper later, I think I know how everything works. And it does.

I hadn't anticipated spending virtually the entire week on this, to the exclusion of almost everything else. Other projects have been ignored, e-mail left unanswered. I had this persistent idea that I was "almost finished," as if just one more hour was all that was needed to complete this. But everything works. My son is excited at the new features and has already made several voyages to the outer planets. (Interchangeable photo prints with the images of various planets are placed in a small viewscreen.)

No comments: