01 January 2009

Betta

I have recently adopted a Betta, who now swims in peaceful solitude in a reasonably large glass cube on a shelf in my office, decorated with a selection of rocks and a large stem of bamboo. I'd been thinking, through the years, about setting up a small aquarium in there (to complement a larger one upstairs), but somehow never got around to it. I've always resisted getting a Betta, because I don't care for the way they're sold and treated ― most people are led to believe a Betta will be perfectly content in a bowl not much larger than a crumpled piece of typing paper, but that just doesn't seem right to me. Hence, the cube ― it's still not the best habitat, but it's better than a small bowl on someone's kitchen counter.

I'm not entirely sure why I changed my mind on the subject. But I am already beginning to regret having done so. In reading more, I have come to realize that I can't even begin to provide an appropriate environment for a Betta. I worry that my office is too cold. Different sources offer conflicting advice on feeding. And I can't seem to get used to his unusual habits ― he doesn't swim around as much as other fish, so I'm constantly wondering if something is wrong.

Should the worst happen, I don't think I'll replace him. Perhaps I'll find a space in the office for that small aquarium I wanted, after all.

No comments: