16 September 2009

Inside

There's a hole in the screen door in back. It's not a hole, really, but a large section where bottom has torn. It would be large enough for the cats to get through, if they knew they could. (They don't.) I know this, because it was large enough for two of the young raccoons to crawl through last night.

I was upstairs working, and hadn't noticed how late (and how dark) it was. When I went downstairs, I was greeted by two little masked faces peeking at me from the dining room. One bid a quick retreat back through the hole in the screen, and the other followed, presumably, while I was upstairs making sure the cats were all at rest. They missed out on all the excitement, which didn't last all that long to begin with. (I don't think the raccoons were in the house for more than a minute or two. I don't even think they found the bowl of cat food.) But no harm done.

One of them even tried to sneak back in beneath the screen, though he quickly scampered away when I warned him off. (I admire his persistence and curiosity.)

No comments: