03 April 2010

Today, I am Eight Years Old again.

I've been waiting for this day for months (though it feels as though it's been much longer) — Doctor Who returns to television today, finally, (following the series' hiatus during the past year, which was filled with an intermittent series of specials), with a new cast, a new production team, and a renewed sense of energy and enthusiasm. Trailers and brief excerpts from the first episode have been slowly revealed over the past several weeks, building the anticipation. I've been so very excited, like a kid just days away from Christmas! And I've made no effort whatsoever to hide my excitement from my seven-year-old, either. (He may begin watching the show with my wife and I this year.)

I won't try to explain the appeal of the series (which began in 1963 and ran for 26 years in it's original incarnation, before it was brought back in 2005) except to say that, even at 45, it still appeals to the child in me.

Steven Moffat, the incoming Executive Producer said something in an interview recently that I felt perfectly captures the spirit of the series, that Doctor Who "makes children of everyone who watches it. If you're still a grown up by the end of that opening music, you've not been paying attention."

I'm going to go make some popcorn!

No comments: