04 May 2010

Questions

I made a comment recently to someone about the difficulty I thought I might have explaining something to my seven-year-old, who tends to be very, very inquisitive. Follow-up questions are just about inevitable.

"See that's what happens when you are a good parent and teach your child to question the world around them." was the response, with a knowing smile.

I'll often get a question first thing in the morning (really) before I'm even properly awake. My son will come in, only moments after having gotten out of bed, to ask me about whatever is on his mind, or how something works, or to solve a math problem (usually something I'd need pencil and paper to sort out even if I were thinking more coherently). Sometimes he'll ask the same question more than once, or when he knows the answer (and I know he knows the answer), but I suppose that's all a part of learning.

And I don't mind. And I'm glad I don't always have the answers for him — I think he'll be more inclined to keep asking questions that way.

No comments: