12 December 2011

The Elusive Ideal

I like to sketch. I still like to do thumbnails as part of the design process. And I want to use my iPad, I really do, but I have yet to find a stylus that I feel completely comfortable drawing with. I know I'm never going to duplicate the tooth of the paper, or the way the point of a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Marker drags over it, but I kinda need better precision than that enormous rounded foam rubber tip found at the end of most of the styluses (stylii?) I've seen or tried.

I was looking at an "active" stylus just last week (that's a new Kickstarter project — I think a third of all Kickstarter projects must be to create an iPad stylus), that promises to provide a "fine point" experience, but it will also require developer support (and close to $100).

I remember hearing about The Cosmonaut (yes, that had been another Kickstarter project) months ago, but I'd forgotten all about it. It's just about ready to ship as a real, actual product. It seems more crayon than pen, and while the point still isn't all that small, it looks like it might be easier to use. And it's only $25. I might try it.

Too bad it doesn't come in purple.

No comments: