05 June 2012

Sketches: The Time Tunnel

This is, as it happens, the second cover I've done in a year or so where I started off working in red, and made a last-minute switch to blue. I dunno, the red seemed to work better in theory than in practice — the black-and-white photos looked dull in context. That, and the print vendor has somewhat oppressive ideas about ink density, and I was concerned that laying black ink over all that magenta and yellow was just going to cause no end of disappointment and trouble.
I'd been thinking of two tumbling figures (perhaps even as a surprint), but I never could find two figures to work with. (And someone did that, though not particularly well, for the DVD package, anyway. Maybe they couldn't find anthing to work with, either.) There was a great publicity photo of the two leads, in color, though one of them had this odd expression on his face (and he was not in his recognizable green wool turtleneck), so I used another black-and-white publicity photo, instead.

(I spent far, far too much time trying to take that recognizable green wool turtleneck from this photo and place it over the body on the other photo, which had a sharper, better-quality image, but I decided if I couldn't get to the point where I could convince myself that it was possible, I was never going to be able to convince anyone else.)

No comments: