20 May 2008

Clock


I've had this clock for years — but for the past ten years it's been in a box in my garage, hidden in plain sight among other items that were packed away and somehow never unpacked. I rediscovered it only yesterday .

I have a vague concept of how old it is, but I've never been sure.

Ten years ago, when this clock was packed away, the Internet was still reasonably new, so much so that there most likely wasn't a page devoted to Numechron "Tymeter" clocks. Even if there had been, there wasn't such thing as a search engine yet, so finding that page would have been virtually impossible.

Yesterday, it took all of 15 seconds to find out more about this clock. I still haven't been able to identify when this particular model was manufactured, but I've learned of the history of the company behind it. (The Pennwood Electric Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, founded in the early 1930's, was among the first to market with a mechanical digital clock.)

The clock has regained its' place in my office, on a shelf next to my desk. It's remarkable to me that the motor still works, still keeps time, after what might have been thirty or forty years. I like the quiet, but confident "clunk" it makes when the minutes change.

No comments: