27 October 2008

Robot Under Construction

I wasn't even sure they'd still have it, and I didn't really want to drive all the way to Ikea, but it was the only place I was reasonably certain I could find that lightweight ribbed plastic tubing I want. You know, for the robot costume. (I've been wanting to use it on the rocket I built, too.) Not only did them have it, it was available in two shades of grey, which means I don't have to paint it.

The electronics have been disassembled, the lights have been removed, and the plastic gears have all been spray-painted a metallic silver, though somewhat dulled by the clear coating applied after. The box has been constructed, and spray painted, too. I'm sure it will sound ridiculous, but I actually built a separate prototype box so I could try it on my son, and make minor adjustments to be sure it would fit comfortably. (I don't usually do design work in three-dimensions, and cardboard isn't all that forgiving as a medium.)

This afternoon, I have to find a switch and rewire the electronics, just slightly, to use it.

No comments: