30 December 2008

Reseller

I can identify with the writer of this piece ― I love a good book, but it isn't easy to resist a bargain.

I bought a copy of a new book from a reseller via Amazon.com months ago ― a brand new copy (at least, it appeared to be) at a fraction of the cover price, an even better bargain than Amazon's customary discount. I'd often wondered, as both reader and publisher, where do these books come from? Had they been shoplifted? Or stolen as part of a more organized theft from, say, a retailer or distributor? Were they really new? I thought I'd satisfy my curiosity.

The book proved mildly interesting, though disappointing (I devoured it more like a magazine article than a book), and I soon sold it to someone else, via Amazon. (I've forgotten how much it sold for, probably even less than I paid for it.) I've since sold dozens of books ― some had been given to me as gifts, though I already had them, others I just couldn't find much interest in. I don't do it for the money so much as the pleasure and satisfaction I get from knowing that a book will be put to better use than just sitting on my shelf, gathering dust. Now I know where at least some of those books come from.

(I've been thinking of offering this book, which has been sitting next to my bed for the past year, during which time I've hardly scratched the surface — much as I'm interested in the subject matter, the book just hasn't sustained my interest. But Mr. O'Malley has left his teeth marks in the dust jacket and spine, and I wouldn't feel right selling it.)

I suppose it would be easier to make use of my local library, but for some reason, I've never felt the same investment in a book when I simply borrow it. (And knowing my peculiar reading habits, I probably wouldn't make the best library patron.)

No comments: