16 September 2008

Birds

Earlier in the afternoon, I saw an uncharacteristically sedate Blue Jay at rest on the corner of the deck, it's head buried among ruffled up feathers. I was concerned, but it has been a little colder than usual. Several hours later, it was dead.

A House Finch was similarly settled on the deck, beneath the bird feeder. She seemed unconcerned when I got close enough to take a picture, glancing up at me only briefly before burying her head back into her feathers. I've gently picked her up and placed her in a shallow plastic box I could move somewhere not so out in the open, somewhere she will be less likely prey for the neighbor's cat who comes around every so often.

She's now perched herself on the edge of the box, and returned to rest. I'm not all that optimistic about her chances, but at least she'll be able to die quietly and peacefully.

No comments: