07 September 2008

Signs

My son occasionally exercises his developing skills in writing by making signs, which are often displayed on the projects he builds. They can be disarmingly simple, yet wonderfully complex — he's taken to using pictures and symbols along with words. Writing a still a little new (and often a bit frustrating) to him, so the pictures make it easier for him to get his point across.

There's one taped to the back of the chair in my office ― I forget the reason why, really, but I think I had warned him that I intended to clean up some project he had been working on in the not-too-distant future. So he drew a sign with a very large and emphatic "No", with an arrow pointing to a small drawing of me ― you can tell by the bald head that it's obviously meant to be me ― with a wobbly arm outstretched, about to touch a drawing of whatever it was he didn't want me to touch.

The reason the sign has long since gone, but I've left it up because I like it so much.

No comments: